Special NAYLE Edition
Rule No. 61:
- When called upon to speak to any group or audience, resist the urge to describe the thoughts that ran through your head before you figured out what you were actually going to say. The three most important elements of a good speech or talk are (1) a “wake-up” opening, (2) a thoughtful close, and (3) keeping 1 and 2 as close together as possible.
Some leaders may be born, but STRONG leaders are MADE! So let’s get going and NAIL IT at NAYLE!
NAYLE—the BSA’s premiere Philmont-based youth Leadership Training—is coming your way, so alert all your troops, crews, ships, and teams, all Scouts and Venturers, and Sea Scouts, too!
NAYLE IS ON THE ROAD!
- It’s the BSA’s National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience, begun at Philmont and again this summer on the road to BSA regions around the country!
What Do You Learn at NAYLE?
- Encouraging others to live lives of leadership-through-service.
- Acting as a “servant-leader” and sharing your leadership skills and group dynamics understanding to help others develop as well, in an outdoor setting.
- Intuitively using your leadership skills in all aspects of your life.
- Becoming an advocate for advanced leadership training back home in your local council.
- Using what you’ve learned at NAYLE to help others become more successful.
What Can I Expect?
- Challenging and fun group and individual activities in an outdoor setting.
- Learnings that lead to the opportunity of changing how you lead and how you live your life!
Participants were asked how much they’d recommend NAYLE to others like them and, on a 1 (low) to 5 (high) scale, they said: 4.9!
Here are some actual quotes:
“All I can say is WOW! It was such an amazing experience with so much in one week. I’d highly recommend this course to anyone who’d like more leadership skills.”
“I had the best time of my life! The…experience made it all come together and made it a once-in-a-lifetime event. This was so much fun actually using the skills and then being able to connect them back to what’s taught (back home). It will definitely help me make the best of my home course.”
The six exciting NAYLE modules are designed for you to use your group leadership skills in realistic and challenging settings:
- Challenging Events
- Wilderness First Aid
- GPS and Geocaching
- Search and Rescue
- Leave No Trace
The Modules Focus On These Skills:
|Challenging Events||“Forming” stage of team development||Valuing people, observing leadership behaviors|
|Wilderness First Aid||Advanced skills for later application in S&R||Planning, communication,
|Geocaching||Outdoor skills, “Storming” stage of team devel.||Teaching EDGE™, conflict resolution, problem-solving|
|Search & Rescue||Advanced outdoor skills for application throughout course||Teaching EDGE™, problem solving, communication|
|Leave No Trace||Advanced outdoor skills for application throughout course||Ethics in decision-making|
|Conservation||Give back through service||Teaching EDGE™, servant leadership|
What Will You Take Home…?
We See These Outcomes:
- Growing self-awareness – A daily assessment of strengths and limitations
- The happiness that comes from helping others succeed
- Growing creativity
- Understanding that everyone is a leader – All group members make significant contributions to their team’s success
- Knowing leadership is a way of life
- Growing self-confidence
Are YOU Ready?
To attend NAYLE, you will…
- Be 14 years of age by the first day of your course, but not yet 21, from Boy Scout, Varsity, Venturing and Sea Scout units.
- Have successfully completed National Youth Leader Training or The NYLT to NAYLE Bridge.
- Be in top physical condition: Meet the parts A, B, C and D requirements of the BSA Annual Medical form.
Some Leaders may be born; STRONG LEADERS are MADE!
NAIL IT at NAYLE!
NAYLE Course Fee
- $355.00 per participant, includes all meals, lodging, training materials, NAYLE cap, and 2 NAYLE tee-shirts.
- Payment in full due with registration.
- June 17-23, 2012
- June 24-30, 2012
- July 7-13, 2012
- July 22-28, 2012
- July 29-August 4, 2012
- August 5-11, 2012
- Camp: Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, NM
- Register: TrainingCenter@PhilmontScoutRanch.org
- CENTRAL REGION
- NORTHEAST REGION
2012 Northeast Region NAYLE Course
- WESTERN REGION
- Dates: July 10-14, 2012
- Camp: Tamarancho, Fairfax, Marin County, CA, Marin Council (www.boyscouts-marin.org)
- Register: www.boyscouts-marin.org Then click NAYLE link
- Contact: Mary Stevens, Course Director leadershipBSA@gmail.com
OR, GO HERE FOR MORE DETAILS: http://www.scouting.org