________________________________________ Dear Andy, A Life Scout in my troop informed me last week that his Eagle project was complete and that he’d like to have a Scoutmaster conference with me. While I was aware that the project was in the works, I was surprised to find out it had been completed, because no one in [...]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner and his council's International Representative. He has previously served in a number of other Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and--as a Scout--Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol Leader, and Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Happy New Year Andy, As a regular reader, I’ve been able to serve as a more effective commissioner. I got a “paycheck” last night that I want to share with you. It was at an Eagle court of honor for a Scout that had needed help navigating around some adults. I used advice you’ve [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I’m the Chartered Organization Representative and Committee Chair for our troop. I’m looking for the best way to communicate with the troop, the parents, and the troop committee. We have “Scoutlander” and it’s just not user-friendly. Some want “Scout Track,” but I don’t want advancement tracking because that’s done through our council [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, I just gotta know! When can we expect to see more of “A Winter Tale”? You’ve done a great job with the first two parts. They remind me a lot of the old fiction stories about Scouts from about the time of WWI. (Bob Elliott, Northern Star Council, MN-WI) Thanks for asking. [...]
________________________________________ Here’s what a reader recently had to say about Eagle Scouts… Most last-minute Eagles think the rank will help them in the future, particularly getting into the military academies. These last-minute opportunists dilute the accomplishments of real Eagle Scouts. I remember hearing, at a troop meeting, “Who’s that guy?” Turns out he was the [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, In our district, registration fees for district events are paid by having checks made out to an individual. The claim for doing this is so that the district, by circumventing the council’s accounting system, can have direct and instant access to the funds. But one of the results of this process is [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, When I click on the bookmark I have for your columns, I ask myself, “How is he going to find a way to be unkind this week?” Yes, I know this isn’t a discussion forum and I’m not asking a question. Although your columns aren’t official BSA publications, you do, indeed, represent [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, This isn’t a question; I just want to comment on that letter about the Scout who was denied his Eagle rank (he’d completed all requirements as stated) by a dubious board because of his supposed “lack of Scout spirit.” I nearly cried when I read that letter. What a horrible, horrible thing [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, You do a great job with those merit badge worksheets! But while I was downloading the ones for Rifle Shooting I noticed that the last requirement changes were shown as 2002. This should be 2012. The requirements are correct, but the year isn’t. (Gary Balzarini, W.D. Boyce Council, IL) Thanks for your [...]
________________________________________ CHICAGOLAND SUCCESS! The Chicago Area Council’s annual University of Scouting was tops! Broke past attendance records, great Scouters, and a fine group of Scouts to boot. Thanks to all, and especially Rich Carroll for inviting me! ========== Dear Andy, I have a Scout in the troop who’s being held back in advancement, or being [...]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 431 – January 13, 2015 January 13, 2015
- Issue 430 – January 7, 2015 January 7, 2015
- Issue 429 – December 30, 2014 December 31, 2014
- Issue 428 – December 25, 2014 December 25, 2014
- Issue 427 – December 23, 2014 December 23, 2014
- Issue 426 – December 16, 2014 December 16, 2014
- Issue 425 – December 10, 2014 December 10, 2014
- Issue 424 – December 2, 2014 December 2, 2014
- Issue 423 – November 26, 2014 November 26, 2014
- Issue 422 – November 18, 2014 November 18, 2014
- Issue 421 – November 11, 2014 November 11, 2014
- Issue 420 – November 4, 2014 November 4, 2014
- Issue 419 – October 28, 2014 October 28, 2014
- Issue 418 – October 24, 2014 October 24, 2014
- Issue 417 – October 14, 2014 October 14, 2014
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
- Chris Snider: Andy: I love reading your column, and I just re...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter