________________________________________ YUP, YOU’RE RIGHT! I MISSED LAST WEEK. I WAS FINALLY STATE-SIDE AGAIN, BUT THE MOUNTAIN OF ENVELOPES-WITH-WINDOWS (AND I DON’T MEAN MICROSOFT!) AND RIVER OF EMAILS THAT DECIDED TO ACCUMULATE AT OUR DOORSTEP WHILE WE WERE ON THE HIGH SEAS JUST ABOUT BURIED AND DROWNED US, SIMULTANEOUSLY. SO NOW, WITH THINGS SORTA BACK UNDER [...]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner. He has previously served in a number of Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and Senior Patrol Leader as youth member. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
Issue 414 – September 20, 2014 (Posted from the North Atlantic between Iceland & Newfoundland, Canada)
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I’m a Senior Patrol Leader with a “problem Scout” in our troop, and I could use some help in deciding what to do. On our troop’s most recent camp-out, this Scout put several others in danger while he was cooking, by igniting bacon grease. I’d told him several times before he did [...]
Issue 413 – September 9, 2014 ________________________________________ Hi Andy, You’ve told us many times how to remove a volunteer, but how do you remove a Scout Executive and a Council President? Without going into all the gory details, our council has these two guys who subscribe to the “My Way or Highway” school of management. [...]
Issue 412 – September 3, 2014 ________________________________________ Dear Andy, A while back, you published a letter about a Scout who had been denied his Eagle rank at his board of review for the dubious claim that he “lacked Scout spirit.” I nearly cried when I read that letter. What a horrible, horrible thing to put [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, Does the BSA have any sort of instructional film or video (a “reality show” would be even better!) that shows a troop being run as it’s supposed to be run, including what meetings look like (the SPL’s in charge), how PLC meetings are run (chaired by the SPL), how troops go camping [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, We have a three-way mini-controversy going on here that maybe you can help with. It’s about Commissioners-as-unit leaders. One of us is saying that A Unit Commissioner can also be a unit leader (i.e., direct leader), just not for his or her own unit. Another is saying that Commissioners can’t hold a [...]
________________________________________ Last week, I answered a question from Doug Niebch about the Chartered Organization Representative (“CR”) position and searched for the CR position patch. I was pretty sure there was one, but when I checked the Index in the GUIDE TO AWARDS & INSIGNIA, I came up with nada. Oh well, I thought, I guess [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, We have a serious situation brewing at our troop. Our Committee Chair, who took over at the beginning of the year, is verbally abusive toward other committee members, the Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmasters, and—worst of all—Scouts. He has numerous medical issues, yet insists on going on troop outings. Several of these have devolved [...]
________________________________________ These 407 (and counting) columns offer advice to Scouts and Scouters, parents and professional staffers, but sometimes—like now—I defer to others. This is one of those situations where, in response to carious questions about the American flag for which answers can’t be found in the handbook or U.S. Flag Code, I’ve reached out to [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Why is it that the Boy Scouts doesn’t have a “square knot” for our American military veterans? In thinking about the “do my duty…to my country” part of the Scout Oath, it just seems so natural, especially since the Scouts’ founder, Lt. Gen. Baden-Powell, wore his military ribbons on his Scout uniform. [...]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 415 – September 30, 2014 September 30, 2014
- Issue 414 – September 20, 2014 (Posted from the North Atlantic between Iceland & Newfoundland, Canada) September 23, 2014
- Issue 413 – September 9, 2014 (Posted from Hambrug, Germany) September 9, 2014
- Issue 412 – September 3, 2014 (Posted from Stavanger, Norway) September 3, 2014
- Issue 411 – August 28, 2014 August 28, 2014
- Issue 410 – August 19, 2014 August 19, 2014
- Issue 409 – August 12, 2014 August 12, 2014
- Issue 408 – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- Issue 407 – July 29, 2014 July 29, 2014
- Issue 406 – July 22, 2014 July 22, 2014
- Issue 405 – July 15, 2014 July 15, 2014
- Issue 404 – July 10, 2014 July 10, 2014
- Issue 403 – July 1, 2014 July 1, 2014
- Issue 402 – June 25, 2014 June 25, 2014
- Issue 401 – June 18, 2014 June 18, 2014
- Webelos den leaders: What’s your most important job? | Bobwhite Blather: [...] 2007 column by Andy the Net Commissioner tit...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter