________________________________________ A Scout recently earned every merit badge Scouting has to offer. Here’s the link… http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Some-upset-Boy-Scout-earns-all-merit-badges-of-scouting-232276831.html#.UorHQPOWcPw.email It’s interesting that this clip talks about some folks not “approving” of this—as if their lame-brained opinion had any weight or merit. To Scout Carter, GREAT GOING! To anyone who doesn’t “approve” of a Scout setting a goal for [...]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner. He has previously served in a number of Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and Senior Patrol Leader as youth member. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Dear Andy, (I am using my mom’s email address and she is okay with me sending this.) I noticed today on my Webelos handbook that there is a mistake as there is only one bucket of water by the fire. I learned from my Den Leader that there should always be two fire buckets [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, There doesn’t seem to be a requirement for two-deep leadership at troop meetings. There’s only a requirement for trips and outings. The only additional rule is that of no one-on-one private contact between an adult and a Scout. So it seems that as long as there are several Scouts and one registered [...]
________________________________________ Here’s an interesting question about the “Statement of ambitions and life purpose and a listing of positions held in your religious institution, school, camp, community, or other organizations, during which you demonstrated leadership skills. Include honors and awards received during this service.” First, from two Scouters who are regular Ask Andy readers… Dear Andy, [...]
________________________________________ ARE YOU READING ADVANCEMENT NEWS YET? To get yourself started, here’s where to check it out (copy and paste this link)… http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/GuideToAdvancement/Advancement_News.aspx ADVANCEMENT NEWS is the official e-newsletter of the BSA’s National Advancement Committee and National Advancement Team – It’s written by volunteers for volunteers! If you’re a council or district advancement chair or [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Our troop’s adult leaders have been at odds recently over the final determination of individual Scout accounts. Our troop does two major fundraisers each year—holiday wreaths and popcorn—and we split the profits with the Scouts (the troop keeps 50% and the Scouts get 50% of all profits they make from these sales). [...]
________________________________________ The letter from the young Eagle Scout who became subject to a “bait-and-switch” by his own board of review that appeared in my October 20th column sparked any number of responses. Here are two… Dear Andy, I just read your October 20th column—in particular the letter from that young Eagle Scout whose council rep. [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I’m an Eagle Scout. I’m now 20. I’d earned Life rank when I was 13, but just couldn’t find the right Eagle Scout Service Project that I wanted to do (I had lots of suggestions for the next more than four years about building shelves, making birdhouses, replanting shrubbery, repainting sheds, etc., [...]
________________________________________ So here I am, with some time to spare between Scouting events, my family’s goings-on, and business priorities. I’m happily reading another issue of a Scouting blog—an official one, in fact. I’ve been reading its issues for some time now. Pretty good stuff, by-and-large. But this one’s different. Near the bottom of a short [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, In a recent column you said there’s no place for merit badges in the troop meeting program or on campouts. I thought there was a portion of troop meetings for skills instruction. In our troop, we have the Scouts arrange to do merit badges, and we set aside the skills instruction time [...]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 374 – December 5, 2013 December 5, 2013
- Issue 373 – November 25, 2013 November 25, 2013
- Issue 372 – November 21, 2013 November 21, 2013
- Issue 371 – November 13, 2013 November 13, 2013
- Issue 370 – November 8, 2013 November 8, 2013
- Issue 369 – November 3, 2013 November 3, 2013
- Issue 368 – October 25, 2013 October 25, 2013
- Issue 367 – October 20, 2013 October 21, 2013
- Issue 366 – October 13, 2013 October 13, 2013
- Issue 365 – September 28, 2013 September 28, 2013
- Issue 364 – September 14, 2013 September 14, 2013
- Issue 364 – September 2, 2013 September 2, 2013
- Issue 363 – August 23, 2013 August 25, 2013
- Issue 362 – August 18, 2013 August 18, 2013
- Issue 361 – August 12, 2013 August 12, 2013
- Webelos den leaders: What’s your most important job? | Bobwhite Blather: [...] 2007 column by Andy the Net Commissioner tit...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter