________________________________________ These 407 (and counting) columns offer advice to Scouts and Scouters, parents and professional staffers, but sometimes—like now—I defer to others. This is one of those situations where, in response to carious questions about the American flag for which answers can’t be found in the handbook or U.S. Flag Code, I’ve reached out to [...]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner. He has previously served in a number of Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and Senior Patrol Leader as youth member. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Why is it that the Boy Scouts doesn’t have a “square knot” for our American military veterans? In thinking about the “do my duty…to my country” part of the Scout Oath, it just seems so natural, especially since the Scouts’ founder, Lt. Gen. Baden-Powell, wore his military ribbons on his Scout uniform. [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, During our troop’s recent week-long summer camp in the Adirondack Forest Preserve, our Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster did something leaving me seeking advice. I’ll admit that the senior patrol, which I’m a member of, had been slacking a little in performance. Although we were still cooking all our meals, in the morning [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, About those patriotic veterans who found fault with Cub Scouts carrying the American flag horizontally, yes, the US Flag Code does say it shouldn’t be carried flat. But it goes on to say that “This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not [...]
________________________________________ Independence Day is just three days away so let’s consider what Benjamin Franklin had to say about democracy and liberty… “DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb deciding the lunch menu; LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” ========== Dear Andy, Can an Assistant Scoutmaster sign off on a merit badge requirement if [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Does a Boy Scout troop have to accept all boys who want to join? I’m asking because we’re a troop in a small town. There were a couple of parents who didn’t like the way the troop was being run, even though two Unit Commissioners and a council professional say we’re doing [...]
________________________________________ Hello Andy, I’m the camping coordinator for a BSA troop based in England. We’d planned on attending British camp this summer, but the camp isn’t going to open this year due to low sign-ups and funding problems. Consequently, we and a neighboring troop have decided to put together a program for our Scouts as [...]
________________________________________ The universe is composed of three things: matter, emptiness, and opinions. Unfortunately, the latter two are often confused with one another. ================================================================ Hi Andy, Our troop and district have always told Scouts that they can’t use pressure treated lumber for Eagle service projects and such. But I can’t find anything online stating why, and [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, For the National Outdoor Badge—Camping Segment, if a Scout spends the summer as a camp counselor at his local Scout camp, and stays in the same kind of tent that he would have were he a camper at summer camp, do all those days/nights of camping count toward this badge/segment? (Bob Fales, [...]
________________________________________ Have you ever noticed that, when somebody misreads or misinterprets an advancement requirement, it somehow never favors the Scout? Here’s yet another case in point… Hi Andy, My son’s a First Class Scout. He’s just completed all requirements for Star including a total of eight merit badges to date. All eight of his merit [...]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 407 – July 29, 2014 July 29, 2014
- Issue 406 – July 22, 2014 July 22, 2014
- Issue 405 – July 15, 2014 July 15, 2014
- Issue 404 – July 10, 2014 July 10, 2014
- Issue 403 – July 1, 2014 July 1, 2014
- Issue 402 – June 25, 2014 June 25, 2014
- Issue 401 – June 18, 2014 June 18, 2014
- Issue 400 – June 10, 2014 June 10, 2014
- Issue 399 – June 3, 2014 June 3, 2014
- Issue 398 – May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014
- Issue 397 – May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014
- Issue 396 – May 6, 2014 May 6, 2014
- Issue 395 – April 29, 2014 April 29, 2014
- Issue 394 – April 22, 2014 April 22, 2014
- Issue 393 – April 15, 2014 April 15, 2014
- Webelos den leaders: What’s your most important job? | Bobwhite Blather: [...] 2007 column by Andy the Net Commissioner tit...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter