________________________________________ Dear Andy, I’m a pretty new Scoutmaster. About a week ago I met an “old” Scout in our troop for the first time in a very long while. He hasn’t been to a troop meeting, he told me, in probably two years, and hasn’t been to more than maybe five meetings over the last [...]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner. He has previously served in a number of Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and Senior Patrol Leader as youth member. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Looking at the Cooking merit badge requirements, I’m wondering how to handle the requirements on planning and preparing meals, for instance as sole individual tasks or as patrol member and patrol cooking tasks, for example requirement 4(a): “Prepare and serve for yourself and two others, the two dinners, one lunch, and one [...]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, We’re in a pickle… We have two early high school-age Scouts: “Zack” and “Zeke.” Recently, one of their classmates at school posted a Facebook photo of Zack and, seeing it, Zeke posted a comment that Zack “looked like a faggot.” Zack’s parents obviously got upset about this, and it got worse after [...]
________________________________________ YUP, YOU’RE RIGHT! I MISSED LAST WEEK. I WAS FINALLY STATE-SIDE AGAIN, BUT THE MOUNTAIN OF ENVELOPES-WITH-WINDOWS (AND I DON’T MEAN MICROSOFT!) AND RIVER OF EMAILS THAT DECIDED TO ACCUMULATE AT OUR DOORSTEP WHILE WE WERE ON THE HIGH SEAS JUST ABOUT BURIED AND DROWNED US, SIMULTANEOUSLY. SO NOW, WITH THINGS SORTA BACK UNDER [...]
Issue 414 – September 20, 2014 (Posted from the North Atlantic between Iceland & Newfoundland, Canada)
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I’m a Senior Patrol Leader with a “problem Scout” in our troop, and I could use some help in deciding what to do. On our troop’s most recent camp-out, this Scout put several others in danger while he was cooking, by igniting bacon grease. I’d told him several times before he did [...]
Issue 413 – September 9, 2014 ________________________________________ Hi Andy, You’ve told us many times how to remove a volunteer, but how do you remove a Scout Executive and a Council President? Without going into all the gory details, our council has these two guys who subscribe to the “My Way or Highway” school of management. [...]
Issue 412 – September 3, 2014 ________________________________________ Dear Andy, A while back, you published a letter about a Scout who had been denied his Eagle rank at his board of review for the dubious claim that he “lacked Scout spirit.” I nearly cried when I read that letter. What a horrible, horrible thing to put [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, Does the BSA have any sort of instructional film or video (a “reality show” would be even better!) that shows a troop being run as it’s supposed to be run, including what meetings look like (the SPL’s in charge), how PLC meetings are run (chaired by the SPL), how troops go camping [...]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, We have a three-way mini-controversy going on here that maybe you can help with. It’s about Commissioners-as-unit leaders. One of us is saying that A Unit Commissioner can also be a unit leader (i.e., direct leader), just not for his or her own unit. Another is saying that Commissioners can’t hold a [...]
________________________________________ Last week, I answered a question from Doug Niebch about the Chartered Organization Representative (“CR”) position and searched for the CR position patch. I was pretty sure there was one, but when I checked the Index in the GUIDE TO AWARDS & INSIGNIA, I came up with nada. Oh well, I thought, I guess [...]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 418 – October 24, 2014 October 24, 2014
- Issue 417 – October 14, 2014 October 14, 2014
- Issue 416 – October 8, 2014 October 8, 2014
- Issue 415 – September 30, 2014 September 30, 2014
- Issue 414 – September 20, 2014 (Posted from the North Atlantic between Iceland & Newfoundland, Canada) September 23, 2014
- Issue 413 – September 9, 2014 (Posted from Hambrug, Germany) September 9, 2014
- Issue 412 – September 3, 2014 (Posted from Stavanger, Norway) September 3, 2014
- Issue 411 – August 28, 2014 August 28, 2014
- Issue 410 – August 19, 2014 August 19, 2014
- Issue 409 – August 12, 2014 August 12, 2014
- Issue 408 – August 5, 2014 August 5, 2014
- Issue 407 – July 29, 2014 July 29, 2014
- Issue 406 – July 22, 2014 July 22, 2014
- Issue 405 – July 15, 2014 July 15, 2014
- Issue 404 – July 10, 2014 July 10, 2014
- Webelos den leaders: What’s your most important job? | Bobwhite Blather: [...] 2007 column by Andy the Net Commissioner tit...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter