________________________________________ Hi Folks! I’ll be traveling for the next 13 days, so we’ll have to skip next week’s column. I’ll be back online the week of June 15th, so keep those letters comin’ in! Happy Scouting! (Just the other day, somebody asked me, “So, what do you do?” “I’m a writer,” I said. She replied […]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner and his council's International Representative. He has previously served in a number of other Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and--as a Scout--Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol Leader, and Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Hello Andy, I just read your Issue 443 (May 19th). BRAVO! That letter to you about a troop equipment trailer and insurance hit the nail on the head! We have a “troop shed” that requires no insurance of any kind. Each patrol has their own bin, where they keep their smaller gear and equipment […]
________________________________________ My previous column closed on a bullying scenario—something that seems to be in the news more and more these days. When I was a kid growing up, bullies were pretty easy to handle. You got a bunch of your neighborhood buddies together, confronted the jerk, and told him to cut it out “or else” […]
________________________________________ To my many Scouters, Scouts, parents, professionals, and other loyal readers, sincere thanks for your patience! These past few weeks have been jam-packed with all sorts of responsibilities—family, professional, and volunteer. As a result, this column is regrettably way off-schedule. But I’m working my best to get back to regular publishing, every Tuesday. So […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, The last requirement for the Mile Swim patch reads as follows: “Swim 1 mile over a measured course that has been approved by the trained instructor who will supervise the swim.” Can you please clarify the meaning of this requirement? I’m asking because, at summer camp last year, we were led to […]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, Is it a requirement to have a ceremony after becoming an Eagle Scout? My son says he doesn’t want one, and I’m saddened by this. Maybe he will change his mind, but I’m not very hopeful and getting grayer by the minute. (Soon-to-be-Eagle Mom) A Scout becomes an Eagle Scout on the […]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, Great April Fool’s column last week… or I truly hope it was I’ve been an avid reader for quite a well and have always found useful information in your columns. I’ve also reached out a few times with questions, and your replies were consistently prompt and to the point. One particular thing […]
________________________________________ STUMPERS! Did you ever get asked a question that you’re just not sure how to answer? I’ve had a few, so I thought I’d share them with you. Maybe you can come up with an answer. Here we go… Dear Andy, I’ve heard that a new merit badge—Hunting—will require bagging small game and migratory […]
________________________________________ Here’s a letter I received from Paul Wolf, the USSSP.ORG’s resident guru on advancement requirements… Hi Andy – In your column last week (No. 436 – March 10, 2015), one of your readers asked, “Is there a process by which changes to the requirements for merit badges are introduced?” The answer’s Yes. Each January, […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I have all the original “See-N-Do” series of slides from the 70s, but I don’t have the script to go with them. I’d like to make a PowerPoint presentation out of these and add a narration. Would any of your readers happen to have anything that resembles the original script, or a […]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 445 – June 2, 2015 June 2, 2015
- Issue 444 – May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015
- Issue 443 – May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015
- Issue 442 – May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015
- Issue 441 – April 28, 2015 April 28, 2015
- Issue 440 – April 14, 2015 April 14, 2015
- Issue 439 – April 8, 2015 April 8, 2015
- Issue 438 – April 1, 2015 April 1, 2015
- Issue 437 – March 18, 2015 March 18, 2015
- Issue 436 – March 10, 2015 March 9, 2015
- Issue 435 – March 3, 2015 March 3, 2015
- Issue 434 – February 24, 2015 February 24, 2015
- Issue 433 – February 17, 2015 February 17, 2015
- Issue 432 – February 10, 2015 February 10, 2015
- Issue 431 – January 13, 2015 January 13, 2015
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
- Chris Snider: Andy: I love reading your column, and I just re...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter