________________________________________ Hi Andy, Is it a requirement to have a ceremony after becoming an Eagle Scout? My son says he doesn’t want one, and I’m saddened by this. Maybe he will change his mind, but I’m not very hopeful and getting grayer by the minute. (Soon-to-be-Eagle Mom) A Scout becomes an Eagle Scout on the […]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner and his council's International Representative. He has previously served in a number of other Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and--as a Scout--Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol Leader, and Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Hi Andy, Great April Fool’s column last week… or I truly hope it was I’ve been an avid reader for quite a well and have always found useful information in your columns. I’ve also reached out a few times with questions, and your replies were consistently prompt and to the point. One particular thing […]
________________________________________ STUMPERS! Did you ever get asked a question that you’re just not sure how to answer? I’ve had a few, so I thought I’d share them with you. Maybe you can come up with an answer. Here we go… Dear Andy, I’ve heard that a new merit badge—Hunting—will require bagging small game and migratory […]
________________________________________ Here’s a letter I received from Paul Wolf, the USSSP.ORG’s resident guru on advancement requirements… Hi Andy – In your column last week (No. 436 – March 10, 2015), one of your readers asked, “Is there a process by which changes to the requirements for merit badges are introduced?” The answer’s Yes. Each January, […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I have all the original “See-N-Do” series of slides from the 70s, but I don’t have the script to go with them. I’d like to make a PowerPoint presentation out of these and add a narration. Would any of your readers happen to have anything that resembles the original script, or a […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, While at the Philmont Training Center for a week-long session on advancement a few years ago—which overall was very good—we spent part of one day talking about getting a new Scout to First Class in his first year. This topic keeps coming up. I understand that somewhere it’s written that making First […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Does a troop have to accept any boy who wants to join? (Name & Council Withheld) “Have to” is an interesting way to phrase your question, so let me ask… What’s the situation that’s prompting the question? In other words, what’s “the question behind the question”? It’s prompted by a current decision […]
________________________________________ In my January 13th column (No. 431), in response to a reader’s comment about “lard-butt Eagle Scouts,” I responded, “Yup, pull-ups are still required for Personal Fitness merit badge.” I was right and wrong at the same time. Our USSSP resident expert on advancement requirements, Paul Wolf, mentioned to me that “actually, that is […]
________________________________________ Thanks to you loyal readers and great Scouters for being patient with me! Yup, took a vacation. But by the time I returned I had a major client assignment in my lap, so I did the unthinkable: I let my work come before my Scouting commitment! Egad! ======================================== Dear Andy, I’m in the midst […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, A Life Scout in my troop informed me last week that his Eagle project was complete and that he’d like to have a Scoutmaster conference with me. While I was aware that the project was in the works, I was surprised to find out it had been completed, because no one in […]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 440 – April 14, 2015 April 14, 2015
- Issue 439 – April 8, 2015 April 8, 2015
- Issue 438 – April 1, 2015 April 1, 2015
- Issue 437 – March 18, 2015 March 18, 2015
- Issue 436 – March 10, 2015 March 9, 2015
- Issue 435 – March 3, 2015 March 3, 2015
- Issue 434 – February 24, 2015 February 24, 2015
- Issue 433 – February 17, 2015 February 17, 2015
- Issue 432 – February 10, 2015 February 10, 2015
- Issue 431 – January 13, 2015 January 13, 2015
- Issue 430 – January 7, 2015 January 7, 2015
- Issue 429 – December 30, 2014 December 31, 2014
- Issue 428 – December 25, 2014 December 25, 2014
- Issue 427 – December 23, 2014 December 23, 2014
- Issue 426 – December 16, 2014 December 16, 2014
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
- Chris Snider: Andy: I love reading your column, and I just re...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter