________________________________________ Here’s a letter I received from Paul Wolf, the USSSP.ORG’s resident guru on advancement requirements… Hi Andy – In your column last week (No. 436 – March 10, 2015), one of your readers asked, “Is there a process by which changes to the requirements for merit badges are introduced?” The answer’s Yes. Each January, […]
About AskAndyAndy is a Board Member of the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc.
Andy is currently serving as a Unit Commissioner and his council's International Representative. He has previously served in a number of other Scouting roles including Assistant Council Commissioner, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Den Leader, and--as a Scout--Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol Leader, and Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. His awards include: Distinguished Commissioner, Doctor of Commissioner Science, International Scouter Award, District Award of Merit (2), Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key (3), Daniel Carter Beard & Cliff Dochterman Awards, James E. West Fellow (2), Wood Badge & Sea Badge, and Eagle Scout & Explorer Silver Award.
Read Andy's full biography
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I have all the original “See-N-Do” series of slides from the 70s, but I don’t have the script to go with them. I’d like to make a PowerPoint presentation out of these and add a narration. Would any of your readers happen to have anything that resembles the original script, or a […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, While at the Philmont Training Center for a week-long session on advancement a few years ago—which overall was very good—we spent part of one day talking about getting a new Scout to First Class in his first year. This topic keeps coming up. I understand that somewhere it’s written that making First […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, Does a troop have to accept any boy who wants to join? (Name & Council Withheld) “Have to” is an interesting way to phrase your question, so let me ask… What’s the situation that’s prompting the question? In other words, what’s “the question behind the question”? It’s prompted by a current decision […]
________________________________________ In my January 13th column (No. 431), in response to a reader’s comment about “lard-butt Eagle Scouts,” I responded, “Yup, pull-ups are still required for Personal Fitness merit badge.” I was right and wrong at the same time. Our USSSP resident expert on advancement requirements, Paul Wolf, mentioned to me that “actually, that is […]
________________________________________ Thanks to you loyal readers and great Scouters for being patient with me! Yup, took a vacation. But by the time I returned I had a major client assignment in my lap, so I did the unthinkable: I let my work come before my Scouting commitment! Egad! ======================================== Dear Andy, I’m in the midst […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, A Life Scout in my troop informed me last week that his Eagle project was complete and that he’d like to have a Scoutmaster conference with me. While I was aware that the project was in the works, I was surprised to find out it had been completed, because no one in […]
________________________________________ Happy New Year Andy, As a regular reader, I’ve been able to serve as a more effective commissioner. I got a “paycheck” last night that I want to share with you. It was at an Eagle court of honor for a Scout that had needed help navigating around some adults. I used advice you’ve […]
________________________________________ Dear Andy, I’m the Chartered Organization Representative and Committee Chair for our troop. I’m looking for the best way to communicate with the troop, the parents, and the troop committee. We have “Scoutlander” and it’s just not user-friendly. Some want “Scout Track,” but I don’t want advancement tracking because that’s done through our council […]
________________________________________ Hi Andy, I just gotta know! When can we expect to see more of “A Winter Tale”? You’ve done a great job with the first two parts. They remind me a lot of the old fiction stories about Scouts from about the time of WWI. (Bob Elliott, Northern Star Council, MN-WI) Thanks for asking. […]
Hint: Use Andy as a search term
Internet Scout Patch
Earn the Internet Scout Patch More information.
- Issue 437 – March 18, 2015 March 18, 2015
- Issue 436 – March 10, 2015 March 9, 2015
- Issue 435 – March 3, 2015 March 3, 2015
- Issue 434 – February 24, 2015 February 24, 2015
- Issue 433 – February 17, 2015 February 17, 2015
- Issue 432 – February 10, 2015 February 10, 2015
- Issue 431 – January 13, 2015 January 13, 2015
- Issue 430 – January 7, 2015 January 7, 2015
- Issue 429 – December 30, 2014 December 31, 2014
- Issue 428 – December 25, 2014 December 25, 2014
- Issue 427 – December 23, 2014 December 23, 2014
- Issue 426 – December 16, 2014 December 16, 2014
- Issue 425 – December 10, 2014 December 10, 2014
- Issue 424 – December 2, 2014 December 2, 2014
- Issue 423 – November 26, 2014 November 26, 2014
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks! :D...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Ron -- It's been a rewarding and equally ...
- AskAndy: Hi Clarke -- Thanks! But one of the things lost ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Damon -- Just keep on writing! I'm here ...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. Andy...
- AskAndy: Oops! MARK! Andy...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Peter -- Glad I could help a little. I'm...
- AskAndy: Thanks, Jack -- Glad I could help a little. I'm ...
- Get Your Knots On! | The NetCommish: [...] ranks or awards or received recognitions tha...
- BOB SMITH II: Andy, Congratulations on this anniversa...
- Jack Boyle: Andy, Well, it's November 23. Congratulations ...
- Peter: After all my BSA training and reading, I was still...
- Mark Dukas: Andy, I love our column, the tone of your advice,...
- Chris Snider: Andy: I love reading your column, and I just re...
Tweets and Retweets
Follow @NetCommish on Twitter