Author Avatar

Celebrating A Decade Of Ask Andy

The Ask Andy advice column will be ten years old on November 23, 2011.  By that time Andy will have written about 1.65 million words of advice to fellow Scouters on a wide variety of subjects – a record that rivals that of Green Bar Bill’s many writings.

Please take a moment to add a comment to this post to tell Andy what you think of the column, how you have used it, what it has meant to you, your experiences as a reader of Ask Andy or just to offer your congratulations to a fellow Scouter who has gone way above and beyond to reach out and help other Scouters.  Thanks!

Ask Andy has always had an erratic schedule because the column depends on letters and emails from Scouters and has to be worked into a schedule that include local volunteer Scouting work too.  It is posted when there is enough content to make up an issue.  At first it was only published once a quarter and then maybe twice a month.  But the letters kept coming and the column is frequently published multiple times every month.

With the new format we are incorporating all the advantages of sharing via social media.  Please feel free to like, recommend, or share an article via social media.

Bookmark and Share

About NetCommish

Michael F. Bowman is Vice President for Services and Board Member, U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc. He has served as the primary webmaster for the U.S. Scouting Service Project, Inc. since 1997 and has operated the NetCommish web site since 1994. More information about The NetCommish

17 Responses to Celebrating A Decade Of Ask Andy

1. avatar
    Cullen November 8, 2011 at 09:12 #

I love this new site look it truly makes one of the best scouting sites better.

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:47 #

Thanks! :D

2. avatar
    Ron Blaisdell November 8, 2011 at 14:51 #

Andy –

Thanks for your many years of dedication to helping the Commissioner profession. If it were up to me, you’d get a Silver Buffalo for all the kind words, hard words, true words that you have spread to those that will listen.

Again, thanks!

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:47 #

Thanks, Ron — It’s been a rewarding and equally humbling experience. Here’s to the next ten! Andy

3. avatar
    Clarke Green November 9, 2011 at 10:08 #

Thanks Andy! You’ve helped me a great deal in my role as a Scoutmaster. The new site set-up is great!

Thanks again for all the work and effort that goes into this.

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:33 #

Hi Clarke –

Thanks! But one of the things lost when my email account was hacked a few weeks back was our past SKYPE correspondence. If you still have an interest, please shoot me an email with your phone number, and let’s just chat a bit. Thanks again, Andy

4. avatar
    Damon Edmondson November 9, 2011 at 14:00 #

Andy,

you’ve been a source of inspiration ot me every since I stepped in to take over a struggling den 7 years ago. In that time wise words have seen me and my boys, all 3, through cubs and webelos, to where I now have life, a 2nd class, and a webelos scout.

Reading over the years about troubled troops also helped me to see that things were not alright in our troop, and after 18 months of trying to shift things as an ASM we took that difficult decision of moving. Right as that was being discussed in our home…we were asked to help form a new troop.

I’m now SM of a thriving troop of 15 boys and more on the way. I’ve taken as inspiration the SM handbook, the Boy Scout handbook, Scouting for boys…and your columns. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the coming years, and I thank you for all you’ve done and continue to do.

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:31 #

Thanks, Damon — Just keep on writing! I’m here for you… Andy

5. avatar
    Chris Snider November 10, 2011 at 01:17 #

Andy:

I love reading your column, and I just read your latest edition (8 November) which had an extended answer to a question I asked you… I gained even more insight into my situation, and I think I’ve developed some great ideas for helping out… you have given me several wonderful ideas over the past year, and I am grateful for everything that I have gotten. Best wishes for another 10 years of great Scouting advice!

6. avatar
    Mark Dukas November 11, 2011 at 13:30 #

Andy,
    I love our column, the tone of your advice, and the consistent, not-so-common sense approach you have to scouting conundrums. Your answers really are tools to be sharpened at the local level to get to “True North.” I try to bring an “Ask Andy” Q&A (especially the “thorny ones) to each SM Roundtable. thanks for all of your hard work!
    M. Dukas
    Council Commissioner
    Piedmont CA Council

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:28 #

Thanks, Peter — Glad I could help a little. I’m looking forward to the next ten, although I’ll confess that if you’d told me in the beginning that I’d be answering folks’ questions for a decade or more and in that first decade alone I’d be writing something past 1.6 million words and nearly 300 columns, I would have wondered whether what you’re smoking had a label on it or not! This is truly in the “Department of Who’d Have Ever Guessed!”! Andy

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:29 #

Oops! MARK! Andy

7. avatar
    Peter November 23, 2011 at 13:06 #

After all my BSA training and reading, I was still confused as a leader on how to present the program or how to deal with situations as they occurred. I’ve now read all your columns and they really taught me interpretations and perspective. Most importantly, I feel some confidence that I’m presenting the program as how BSA intends it. Thank you so much.

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:30 #

Thanks, Peter — Glad I could help a little. Andy

8. avatar
    Jack Boyle November 23, 2011 at 20:53 #

Andy,

Well, it’s November 23. Congratulations and THANK YOU for doing this for ten years. Your answers to questions I’ve submitted and to those submitted by others have enabled me to steer around the plethora of inaccurate information, myths, and legends. I direct others to your column with confidence, and share your advice with other scouters — although not all of them listen. :)

Here’s to another 10 years!

AskAndy December 23, 2011 at 10:27 #

Thanks, Jack — Glad I could help a little. I’m looking forward to the next ten, although I’ll confess that if you’d told me in the beginning that I’d be answering folks’ questions for a decade or more and in that first decade alone I’d be writing something past 1.6 million words and nearly 300 columns, I would have wondered whether what you’re smoking had a label on it or not! This is truly in the “Department of Who’d Have Ever Guessed!”! Andy

9. avatar
    BOB SMITH II November 24, 2011 at 10:52 #

Andy,
    Congratulations on this anniversary. I have been reading and using your columns for many years as both a commissioner, Assistant Scoutmaster and now as Committee Chair. At my last Troop meeting we had 15 visiting WEBELOS and parents attending. While the SPL talked to the Cubs, the SM and I talked to the parents in separate rooms. We both used various questions from your many columns to explain “the boy-led troop” and how it works in our troop and to explain the difference between Cubs and Boy Scouts. After the meeting, more than a few parents surrounded us to exclaim that they had been to several meetings but this one was the most informative they had attended.
    Your columns are now advertised on our calendars for everyone to read.